
Today a friend asked me to go on a walk, I needed to clear my mind, so I agreed. She had never been to Fenton Park so we went there. It's funny how this park invokes so many memories. My earliest memory is playing t-ball there. I am not sure if I even really remember playing t-ball but there are pictures of me there so I know it happened.
I remember my brother's countless soccer games there. I don't really remember them playing but I remembered how much I loved to get a grape soda from the concession stand and the consequence for this purchase was being chased by bees. I was such a pain in the ass back in those days to my poor father who was just trying to coach his sons, I was cry and scream as the bees chased me. One game my dad couldn't take it anymore that he had one of the boys on the team, who obviously didn't get a lot of playing time, "protect" me from these bees after my soda. I also remember another time, probably to get me out of his hair, my dad sent me to get him popcorn. On the way back I slipped and fell in the grass spilling the popcorn, but don't worry I picked it ALL up. I really didn't think he would notice the grass in the popcorn but he did. My response was "that's how the lady gave it to me.... "
My next memories include tons of CYC soccer games there, but my most favorite soccer memories were of course the St. Paul Tournament. It took place ever summer at the very end of summer right before class started back up. Everyone came from my grade school. Now instead of being chased by bees, I was being chased by boys, and getting rids from them on their bikes (pegs). It was a full weekend event, with beer being served all day and night. While the parents are drinking and not worried about where their kids are, we were sneak off and play the most harmless game of truth or dare, although we thought we were so scandalous. Saturday night of the tourney always had a DJ, everyone dances. Yet I was mortified when my dad took the center of the dance floor when "Mony Mony" came on. I told him he was "ruining my popularity" and tried to drag him off the dance floor.
Fenton Park as not changed much at all , unlike me. I used to breeze thru the track, now I am out of breathe from just running a small part of it..... but every lap I take just reminds me of my youth. I will never forget the birthday parties, the games of "Butts Up", tractor rides, the haunted forest, or my first game being a soccer ref at this park.
No comments:
Post a Comment