Saturday, January 23, 2010

My First "Big Girl" Job.

I currently am working for Missouri First Steps, I am doing early intervention for kiddos between the ages of 0 and 3. I go into their homes and work with the child for about an hour, and try to educate the parents on ways they can help encourage language growth. When I originally accepted this job, the thought of home visits never once crossed my mind of something I wouldn't like. When I think of "home" I think of my home, and all my friend's homes, a sanitary, safe environment. I have learned that where a lot people live aren't safe, and certainly aren't clean. I have seen anything from a rat running across to the floor to being sexually harassed. A lot of the families I work with can't afford to pay their gas bill but can afford the best cable package. It makes me so sad to see kids fed S'Mores and pop for breakfast. Needless to say this job has really opened my eyes to lifestyles I haven't been exposed to. I wish I could take a lot of these kids out of the environment they are in and give them the life they deserve. I wish schools would not teach abstinence but rather safe sex. I work with one mom with a 2 year old, a 1 year old, and a 5 day old baby, and she is 21. The father is 54 and has a total of 15 kids with 11 different women.

But my job isn't all bad....

There are the families I love, who would do anything for their kids. Where they live is clean and I don't have to run from my car to their house. These families are constantly watching everything their child does, and report any new sound the child is making. These parents are always up for any suggestions and implement anything ideas I give them.

But my job is not to judge how people life their lives, my job is to help these children with their communication needs. There is no greater job than hearing a child say his first word, make a new sound, or using sign. I have left homes with goose bumps and tears in my eyes from a child making a communication breakthrough.

No comments:

Post a Comment