Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Big Balls...



Kickball that is...

I was never a fan of kickball in gym class, maybe because we weren't allowed to drink, but now kickball is what I look forward every week....

One bored Sunday I got on Craig's List and started looking in the "activities" section... Every other post was from a new kickball league that was forming in KC, "KC Big Balls"....

I decided it would be a fun thing to do, although being the
one putting the team together can be frustrating. What I liked what everyone had to sign up individually so I wasn't out a lot of money, but it was sooooooo annoying trying to lure my friends on the website and actually sign up. Eventually after hounding everyone via text, and facebook I found created "Team Fist Pump".

Looking at our roster it is the most random group of people, but we just mesh sooo well. We enjoy ourselves but still are slightly competitive. I would have never guessed that we would be first place in our division right now.



Another tough part of being captain is making sure the team shows up every week... Since the games are on Sundays, I try to encourage my team to take it easy on Saturday... and well that doesn't typically happen....So I get up early on Sunday and send a mass text starting with "Rise and Shine Team Fist Pump".... Typically I get no responses, which scares me, but occasionally I get something like "uuugggghhh"... The rest of my morning I stress out until I see 9 of my players stumble to the field, with their eyes half shut, and maybe puking in the parking lot. You wouldn't think with a roster of 20 that it would be hard to get 9 people their... but last week it was quite the struggle.

The hardest part of kickball, is realizing how out of shape I am. I spend 90% of kickball standing in the outfield....I make the occasional run to catch a ball, and I go up to kick when it's my turn to bat... Yet I am soooooo sore on Mondays, and I am STILL sore today (Thursday).... I forgot the importance of warming up and stretching before and after the game, and many members of my team will agree with me because many of them are feeling the pain the next day.

Overall joining KC Big Balls has been one of my BEST decisions since living in KC.








No comments:

Post a Comment