Sunday, March 28, 2010

My Biggest Fear...

When you ask someone their biggest fear most people respond with something like losing a loved one, or death.... When you ask me that question I will respond a mouse.

I blame this fear on my mom. Where my family resides in the suburbs of St. Louis we have some wooded ground behind our house, wooded area= wildlife. Growing up we would get the occasional mouse in my house, usually around winter. I never saw a mouse, but we had traps.

I remember once in the 6th grade I stayed home with the stomach flu. I was sleeping on the couch when I hear "Pssst Erin, Erin are you awake?!?!?!". I woke up with my mom peeking around the corner with fear in her eyes, which put me into panic mode. She could hear a mouse in her room, and wanted me to hear the sound. I went in her room and we both stood on the bed, sure enough I heard a weird scratching sounds... We called my dad at work and he came home and to our surprise the noise was a tree outside scratching on the house.

Seeing how scared my mom was somehow has made me that scared of a mouse.

I forgot my fear of mice until October 2008. I lived in an older house in KC, MO. It was a rainy day and I went up to my room to change out of my damp clothes. I take my jacket off over my head and I see something jump out of a bag on my bed. I look at it, it looks at me... A MOUSE ON MY BED! I scream so loud that my roomies think I stepped on the dog's tail. I run for my life and the mouse runs between my bed and my wall. I go buy 10 mouse traps for my room that is only 10" by 10". I make Robert go put the tramps in my room and as he does the mouse runs right under his feet. Needless to say the mouse was disposed of by the next morning. We ended up catching 6 more mice in that house, but thank goodness no more in my room or even on the same floor of the house that my room was on.

Grad school ends and I move to a house on the Plaza. It's a warm fall morning, I just got out of the shower and walk into my room. I picking out of an outfit for work when I see something scurry across my floor. A BIG FUZZY MOUSE. I scream and he runs under my dresser as I jump on my bed. After 2 minutes of deciding how I am going to evacuate myself I finally decided to jump and make a run for it. As my feet hit the floor the mouse must have had the same idea as me because he came out from under my dresser at the SAME time. As we see each other we both retreat back into our original spots. I look at the clock and decide I have no time to waste or I am going to bed late for work. Needless to say the outfit I grabbed did not match. A mouse, not sure if it was the same mouse was caught a few days later.

2 weeks pass and we have no mouse activity in the house. I had been sleeping on the couch because I was fearful for my life in my room. After the second week ended I was sure that we were mouse free and figured it was safe to sleep in my room... On my second morning in my own bed I wake up to the dog "tap dancing" in my room. All I could hear was his nails tapping on my wood floor. I open one eye and see him swatting around a mouse trap, the mouse trap (glue trap) is flipped over. I figure he is after the peanut butter on the trap so I yell at him and tell him to stop. As he walks away from the trap, well, the trap walks away from him. Sure enough there is a trap scooting around on the floor on my room. I close my eyes because if I can't see the mouse, the mouse can't see me. I start screaming for my room-mate, she comes in, I ask her with my eyes closed if she sees anything unusual in my room. She says no, so I bolt out of my room. I consider calling 911, but instead call the other room-mate Dawn, "the man of the house", and see if she can come take care of the problem. She is home in 20 minutes and takes care of the mouse.

I decide to start sharing a bed with Maggie.

Maggie decides to paint her room, therefore we are both spending the night on the couch. All of a sudden I wake up. I hear something that sounds like someone is playing with a bunch of change in my room. I stomp my foot on the ground, the sound stops. I wait to my sure I am not just hearing things, but the sound starts up again. I stomp again and the sound stops.... "Psssstt Maggie..." She wakes up and hears the sound too. I run for my life into Dawn's room. I tell her that is a mouse in my room playing "banker". Dawn goes into my room and finds a mouse in my room stuck not only a tramp but also with one of my beaded necklaces wrapped around it. I guess the mouse wasn't playing banker but dress up.

Since then (November) I have slept in my bed minimal times. I just camp out on the couch.

We now have 2 high frequency transmitters that are supposed to keep mice away. I have one right next to my bed.

We made it thru the winter without catching a mouse in our house, although we did know there were some in the basement, they didn't seem to make their way upstairs.

I recently started to hear noises again, but then I started to wonder if I was just crazy. I didn't make a big fuss over the noise because I only seem to hear them when I was alone, but when I did hear the noises they ALWAYS were coming from my room.

Sure enough I know I hear things, and keep telling Dawn to look under my bed because I know there is a mouse under there but she sees nothing.

Friday I swear the dog has pooped in my room. I refuse to look under my bed because I know there is a mouse trap under there. Sure enough Saturday morning Dawn looks under there and there is a mouse in the tramp...

I just don't understand why the mice love my room. There is NO food in my room. I don't understand why they don't live in Dawn's room, she has a bowl of dog food and water.

Seriously I can't wait to move!

No comments:

Post a Comment