Saturday, September 17, 2011

To become a traveler...?

Something I love to do is travel. If it wasn't so expensive I would do it all the time.

I am blessed to be in a field that is so high in demand. One of my professors once said "You could throw a dart at a map and get a job in that city that day". I truly believe that. I have never struggled with finding a job. Well many people have heard of travel nursing, well therapist have the same option.

When I knew it was time to leave KC, I wanted to do travel therapy. I threw the idea out to my grandma and she instantly shot the idea down. She said I needed to come back to St. Louis and start my life (buy a house, get married, have babies). Although I didn't agree with her, I still came home to St. Louis.

In June 2011 my grandmother passed away.

In July the idea of travel therapy came into my head. I started to throw the idea out to a few friends and they all agreed I should do it.

Here are some of the perks:
1. Pick the city you want to live in for 13 weeks
2. Travel is paid for you to get to that city
3. A furnished apartment is provided for you and so is rent
4. Utilities/Cable paid for
5. A portion of you paycheck is not taxed
6. Your state license is paid for
7. Higher income

I mean it almost sounds like a trap. Too good to be true. I know friends that have done it and still do it. Every agrees it is an amazing opportunity.

So why is it so hard for my to commit to? Why am I so afraid to leave my comfort zone?

I look at my life now. I rent an awesome house with a good friend. I only have to drive 4.5 miles to work. I have a great group of friends and family.

I went ahead and applied for my Texas state license. The check cleared today. I have days where I am all about traveling, and then I have days where I can't believe I even considered it.

I think overall I am afraid of being alone. I have never lived alone. I can't imagine not being able to call a friend after work to go grab dinner or go for a walk around the park. Or no sports leagues.

But worst case scenario I live in Texas for 13 weeks, hate it, come right back to St. Louis.

A benefit of living in Texas (Dallas). I have family there. It would be great to be able to see my grandparents more.

I wish someone could just come with me....Any takers?

Sorry this blog is all over the place... Just kind of like my thoughts about traveling....

No comments:

Post a Comment