Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Howdy.

So I finally took the plunge. I am living in Texas and so far so good.

I am working for the Denton State Supported Living Center. It's a campus that about 500 individuals with disabilities live on. I am on a very specialized team called the Physical Nutrition Management Team (PNMT) where I just focus on individuals with dysphagia. Everyone I work with is so friendly and accommodating. I have my own desk/phone/computer, it's pretty nice.

I am living in Plano which is about 15-20 minutes North of Dallas and about 23 miles South of my work. It is a little bit of a haul to work but it doesn't bother me at all (yet). Plano reminds me a lof of the Plaza in KC. My apartment is very nice, updated and clean but of course my second night sleeping here I see that a mouse got into a banana I had on my stove. Seriously I have the worst luck with MICE! I haven't caught him but I saw him got in to some poison so I think he might be gone!

Speaking of bad luck I also have terrible luck with cars and of course the car problems have followed me down to Texas. I was sitting at a stop light when I heard the car next to me honk. He signals for me to roll down my window and tells my my back wheel is wobbling back and forth, most likely my lug nut wasn't tightened enough. The next day at work a girl who was driving behind me tells me the exact same thing. The following day I am pulling up at a Walgreens and I hear this weird noise. I look over to my passenger side and there is all kinds of water dripping out from under my dash. Needless to say my car smells like mildew and is currently in the shop. I am also going to have find someone who does body work in the Plano area because the first time I pulled my car into my garage I scraped it on the side of the garage.

I am currently on a flag football team and kickball team although almost all of our games have been rained out so far.

Now I must say I am learning a lot of new words down here in Texas:

1. Fixin': About to do something
2. Hankering: A craving for something
3. Ya'll: You guys

Wildlife we don't have in MO:
1. Roadrunners
2. Armadillos

There are also very strict liquor laws down here. I am live in a "moist" county meaning only beer and wine can be bought at the store, therefore there are no liquor stores. Even at a lot of bars you can't get liquor.

People down here drive crazy. Let's just say the speed limit is 6o mph and I am in the slow lane going 70 mph.... that's too slow even in the slow lane. I would say whatever the speed limit is, you can typically go 15 mph over and still not have to worry about a ticket! Parking in either direction on the road is fair game too. I used to get confused on a road thinking it was one way but really the cars were parked in the wrong direction.

2 separate people told me I am "starting to get a twang"...

Hopefully be in STL for a visit around opening day!


1 comment:

  1. glad you're loving work. good luck with the car, the mouse and the twang!

    ReplyDelete